Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Speakers I wish I owned: Second in an occasionally appearing series.

Ok, they're decades too new for this blog, but Mission have been one of my favorite speaker manufacturers since the seventies, and I couldn't pass up the chance to hear a pair from 2001. The bass drivers in these speakers were notorious for failing, and these were no exception. Their owner picked them up on the side of the road, obviously discarded when the woofers died. He found replacement bass drivers, of an improved (by Mission) design, and I exchanged them for him this morning. I was impressed by every aspect of the way these speakers are put together, and was anxious to hear them. I wasn't disappointed. They have awesome clarity and detail, without picking apart the music unnaturally like some modern 'audiophile' speakers I've heard (Totem Mites come to mind...I would choose a pair of Dynaco A-25s over them any day). This review details the innovative design and construction of the 780s, and I agree with the author's conclusion. Mission rocks!

No comments: