Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tangent SPL1s in crotch figured walnut veneer.



This was very difficult to work with. Crotch figured means from the Y where 2 branches intersect. There are knots, and everything was very brittle and bumpy. If I look at them, bits crack off. I've glued all kinds of little pieces back, and they have stabilized after 3 days. The veneer also varies in density, some sections don't absorb any oil. I am not a fine woodworker, and there is lots to criticise, but every project seems to be better than the last, so I'm happy. These are going to a long time friend of the blog, the final piece in a complex trade.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If he decides he doesnt want them let me know - I am looking for this type of little monitor.
Richard

Spinnr said...

Lloyd.

As a great fan of Linn Kans, these are an amazing speaker, done in an incredible veneer. I have always liked the commonality of black ash, and even black vinyl but the texture, richness, and unpredictability in grain of these to the eye are a knock out.

If I lived in your part of the world, I would be parked outside for a week delivering flowers and bagels each morning to your door step, pleading to take them home.

A wonderful progression of your speaker renovation, and visual design skills.

Spinnr.