Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Marantz 2270 that sounds fantastic.

I have not been having a lot of luck with electronics lately. For the last couple weeks, my Sony TA-2650 has been my only available amp. I really like it, and have no complaints, but I enjoy variety, and have some speakers at the moment (particularly Genesis Model Threes) that can benefit from more power than the Sony (at 40 watts/channel) can provide.

This particular 2270 looks like it has been through hell. It reminds me a bit of the famous fire ad from 1974 (I cleaned it up before I took the picture). The top of the faceplate has been pulled forward (by a strong and curious child, I think), stretching the aluminum itself, and cracking the plastic fascia. I took it to an auto body shop, and was told that it can be restored to it's original shape using a heating and cooling process that would destroy the anodizing, and probably the screening as well. I have been unsuccessful so far in finding a replacement.

I replaced the cracked AM antenna housing with one from my 2220B parts wreck. I have a power switch to install, and will soon (it stays on all the time now).

The receiver produced no sound when I got it. Vladimir just finished with it yesterday and it sounds magnificent! I forgot just how much I love this particular model. It sound rich, spacious and very musical.

It's a pleasure having a big Marantz again.

If you have an extra 2270 faceplate, please let me know. Thanks to Joe for this.

Email me.

No comments: