Tuesday, February 2, 2010

UPDATED: Counterpoint SA-7: WOW!

This is a hybrid (tube & transistor) preamp, late seventies/early eighties vintage, a minimalist design. The construction and component quality is military grade. I bought it because the Dynaco tube equipment piqued my interest, and I've heard and read for years that a tube preamp with a good solid power amp gives the best of both worlds: the delicacy and naturalness of tubes (especially in the highs and mids) with the power, weight and bass performance of solid state. I also felt that as good as the humble NAD 1020 is, that the Son of Ampzilla would sound even better with a better (and more expensive) preamp.

So far, I'm loving what I'm hearing. The Counterpoint SA-7/GAS Son of Ampzilla driving the Mission 770 Freedom 4s is giving me the some of the best sound I've ever experienced in my home. This amp and preamp combination is more 'high end' than I ordinarily pursue, but like most of the vintage components that this blog is about, is an extraordinary bargain today.

UPDATE:
I love what I was hearing through the line stage, but something was wrong with the phono stage. It sounded very glassy and strident. The phono stage was also clearly audible through the line stage, which made it really obvious that there was a real problem. The unit has been returned. I have enough ongoing revitalization projects (the Marantz 4400 will be heard from very soon!). I can't have more right now.

Email me.




Too bad, this thing is beautiful.

No comments: