Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Midweek Update

The Infinity RS-9s that I refoamed on the weekend left last night. I stand by my opinion that the white Polycell tweeter in that model is much better than the earlier black foam ones.

The AR28Ss, classic 8 iknch two way acoustic suspension systems, also left. I am very interested in hearing larger and older AR systems.

The Paradigm 3SE Mark IIIs are gone too. I'm still surprised that they were here for months, being such good all round performers.

Updated Wednesday evening:
My beloved Sony TA-F5 is home! I will plug it in shortly and start catching up on speakers I've wanted to hear it with. Here is a link to some useful information from The Vintage Knob, a site I respect and admire.

I finally got around to having the cable on the AR 77XB turntable fixed and got a cartridge mounted into the original headshell. This is all to say that I finally am listening to it! My initial impressions are good: very quiet with good air and detail. Oh wait, that may be how all decent turntables sound after a few months of all digital sources. I'll let you know!

I got a Rotel RC-870 preamp back from the shop today, something I bought broken and just heard for the first time. I'd hoped to pair it with the Hafler DH-200, but it left too fast. I initially hooked the Rotel up to the power amp section of the Sansui 8080, and it worked nicely.
Later, as luck would have it, a Nikko Alpha 130 100 watt/channel power amp became available to me (and soon to you!), and the combination sounds great.

e-mail me

1 comment:

coal said...

I bought the Sony tc k5 cassette deck to match your sony way back in the day, 1978?? 77??
nice stuff