Wednesday, August 12, 2009

B&W DM-14s

I got them late last night. This morning I sanded the tops, redid the grills and repainted the metal parts of the stands. They sound fantastic. I was concerned about their efficiency (86 db), and worried about their bass extension (the specs say 80 hz - 20 khz, but that's plus or minus 2db freefield, more conservative than many manufacturers specify).

I didn't need to worry about a thing! The Technics SU-V76 drives them nicely without lighting up like a christmas tree, and listening to Coltrane Plays The Blues as I write this, the upright bass is walking very solidly.

The drivers consist of a fabric dome tweeter and 2 6 1/2 inch bextrene woofers. The build quality is extraordinary, and these speakers come with stands designed for them, that bolt right into threads on the bottom.

Pictures to come as soon as the camera batteries are charged. I can't wait to show you these teak (on all sides) beauties!

And here they are:




Beautiful, eh?

e-mail me

2 comments:

Bora said...

British knows how to make good speakers.

Anonymous said...

I had a pair of these. They were incredibly accurate and fantastically loud