Saturday, March 7, 2009

Saturday update

I have been very busy with speakers, and have gone in a couple of days from a bit of a drought to abundance.

I have a pair of Boston Acoustics A200s! I have really liked A60s, A70s and A100s, all 2 way systems, The A200 was Boston's best selling 3 way system, and it's first assault on the state of the art. It has a 10 inch woofer, 4 inch midrange and the wonderful Seas tweeter that I love from Missions and Meraks. It has a very authoritative sound, with excellent, tonality, transient response, and imaging. Boston produced an A400 in limited quantities, with 2 8 inch woofers instead of the ten, but it was considered not appreciably better than the A200, which is a much better value.

I have also picked up a set of Energy ESM1Ss. These are so much like Energy 22s (a set I used to own and love) it's freaky. An 8 inch two way system, they have stitched rubber surrounds on the woofers, as the 22s and very similar foam treatment around the (similarly sized) dome tweeters. The size and weight are very close. I would call these a poor man's 22s at a great price...great imaging, very solid bass, an all round musical performer.

There are also 2 pairs from Szabo in Cambridge, Ontario. I have a set of floorstanding 3 way 8 inch systems with a phenomenal dome midrange, and a pair of small 2 ways.

More to come about all of these (and photos) soon.

Have a great weekend.

e-mail me.

No comments: