Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tuesday update

I promised surprises, and I have two!

I have a fantastic pair of Genesis Physics Corporation Model 1s. They are an 8 inch 2 way system, with an inverted dome tweeter in gorgeous oak cabinets. Genesis was an offshoot of EPI and these have a lot in common with EPi 100s...clean, neutral sound, very nice imaging. They seem better built, and the cabinets and grills are much nicer. I mentioned a pair of EPI 100s a couple of weeks ago, and the first person who was here after I got them bought them (and a Pioneer SX-636 receiver) before I even had time to photograph them. The Genesis 1s are are at least as good, and won't be here long!

Last November I wrote about a pair of Pioneer HPM-100s that I was very excited about, but left again in less than 24 hours in trade for my JBL L36s. Well, the owner enjoyed them, but after listening much more than I'd had been able to, began to find them fatiguing (as have many others). There is much written about these fantastic speakers, and there is agreement that replacing all the capacitors in the crossovers really smooths the sound out, especially at the high end. I have these back, with expertly done crossover modifications using audiophile grade caps, and superb high grade speaker connectors. They really sing now and compare very very favorably to JBL L100s, with perhaps a better high end.
This isn't too surprising, since the brilliant Bart Locanthi designed both, the HPMs being the newer, more refined design.

e-mail me.

No comments: