Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Please help me identify these!


UPDATED: Thanks to the members of Canuck Audio Mart and readers of this blog for your quick and helpful responses!
These were manufactured in the late 70's early 80's by Delta Sound in Waterloo, Ontario. They used Philips drivers and are decent sounding.
When I buy speakers, I try to do as much research as possible. I bought a pair last week on impulse. The person selling them assured me that even though they weren't identified as such, they were part of Whafedale's Delta series. I didn't think so, but they looked so cool that I bought them anyway. I was correct...Wharfedale's Deltas were regular boxes, with regular badging. These Deltas have a unique, almost guitar amp kind of cabinet, with slab sides bolted to the shallow, heavy cabinets. The cabinets are completely covered in grill cloth. The cloth had holes and I have redone one so far. This gave me the chance to check out their insides. The drivers are by Philips, 8 inch woofer and dome tweeter in a ported design. The cabinets are 3/4 inch plywood, very well made. The sound is nice and very spacious and unboxy, and these babies deserve further listening.
I have looked everywhere I can think of, and have found no information. If you have any knowledge or even a theory about these, please e-mail me.

No comments: