Saturday, November 22, 2008

L88 Plus 12 = L100!

UPDATE: They are amazing! i've been using them for a few hours now, and they have an authority that's wonderful: true monitors, as good as I'd hoped.

I'm listening to them as I write (I've heard them for about 40 minutes). They are fantastic! This model was sold as a 2 way with the same tweeter and famous 12 inch white coned woofer as the L100 and 4311 studio monitor. An after market kit (explained here in the 1973 JBL catalogue) makes it an L100! The pair I got this morning were wrapped in vinyl. I just sanded down the walnut and they are gorgeous! The grill system is the same as the L100, and the walnut frames are in great shape, so I'll be able to install new cloth easily.

As my first JBLs, the L26s made me thirst for the 3 way L36s that I love so much, so the 36s made me hungry to experience the L100s, with their bigger woofers (so did my short time with the Pioneer HPM 100s, now kicking beautifully at Kevin's place). Someone selling a pair on ebay recently called them "The King of The Seventies" and I get it. I'm going to post a few photos and enjoy these for a bit. Btw, the woofers aren't stained...those are marks from an excess of the compound the white woofers are doped with to give them their necessary rigidity.

No comments: